Sunday, October 9, 2011

Decorating for Dummies

When I was younger my parents always told me how great I was in everything I did. Once, in 4th grade, I told my mother that I wanted to sing in the school's talent show. She told me that was a wonderful idea because I had such a beautiful voice.

Lies. All lies.

I know for 100% fact that I cannot carry a tune in a bucket. Anyone who's sat by me in church or heard me karaoke can attest to it as well.

Thankfully, I never ended up singing in said talent show. That would have been the end of my social life. I did, however, clog in a super puffy skirt to Alan Jackson. My costume looked something like this:
Obviously, my friend-count sky rocketed. Not.

Now that I have a firm grasp on my own personal skills and talents, I know what I am good at and know what I suck at.

Good at:
cleaning (my mother taught me well)
meeting new people
making small-talk
school (I'm such a nerd)
baking
dancing (15+ years baby)

Bad at:
staying up late (Hello, 9:30pm!)
singing (please see above)
fashion
decorating

I am happy with these lists. I'm proud of what I can do and have accepted what I can't do. I still sing at the top of my lungs whenever the mood hits, and I still need to decorate this new house. Just because I don't have the 'creative eye' doesn't mean I should force my husband to live between blank walls.

Thats where you come in. Please, I mean PLEASE help this dummy decorate my house. Here is what you have to work with:

This is the front door. I have no clue what to put on the blank wall...maybe a 'frame wall'? Apparently, they are all the rage now.
 This is looking from the front door into the living room. On the other side of the room is the kitchen
 A fire place! Super pumped about this thing during the winter. But how should I decorate it? Currently, I just threw up a bunch of random decorations which I had no place for.
Seriously, I need help!
The kitchen. It's huge.
This is looking from the kitchen into the living room.
Introducing: The Orange Rooms. I pray for the people who choose this paint color. How in the world am I suppose to work with a room the color of a burnt pumpkin?!
And not only do I have to work with ONE orange room, but I have to figure out with to do with TWO orange rooms! Seriously, I'm over my head here folks. What colors go with Jersey Shore Fake Tan Orange??!
Last, but not least, the master suite. Huge with lots of empty walls and windows. Also, please notice the ceilings. "They" painted in alternating blue and grey colors. How artsy. Not.
 Another view of the master looking from the bathroom. Yes, that is a strange cubby hole that perfectly hold's Sully's crate. Maybe we should hang portraits of the dogs in that corner. Maybe not? See, I need help!
 Now, looking into the Master Bath. Bright blue, but nothing special. I get my own closet. Booyah.

I don't have pictures of the guest bath or the laundry room, but they are blank and boring as well.

So there you have it folks. Our new house and my daunting task of making it a home. Pinterest has been my best friend lately and I've found some really great ideas, but I honestly have no idea where to start. So much to do!!

Any and all ideas are welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alex,

    Ideas for an Orange room: Brown... lots and lots of brown and tans. Def try to get some really rich colors to help balance out that bright orange.
    You could even do some nice gray colors, if that is more your style.
    For the orange craft room you could add reds and yellows to make it more exciting and energetic to help with keeping energy up.

    Mantle: I dont have one so I am very jealous, but there are a ton of other bloggers that have great pics of their mantle that they change up for each season by just mixing up a few pieces.

    The nook above the crate would be so so so cute with dog pictures and maybe even a small coat rack to hang their collars from when they grow out of them.

    I hope this was helpful!
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete