Friday, July 15, 2011

The Unexpected Hangover

This past Wednesday Josh and I drove to Fayetteville to eat with friends at the Mellow Mushroom and test our useless trivia knowledge. 

As far as trivia goes, I felt that we did pretty well as a team. We had a well-rounded group full of movie-lovers, sports enthusiasts, art aficionados, and then me.

I didn't contribute too much, except for some biblical knowledge and random dog knowledge; although I did answer a question correctly that my team decided against: 
What is the drink that the British called Arabian wine??

More questions from that night (answers at the bottom):
What is the capital of Montana? (I'm embarrassed to say no one on our team knew this!)
What creepy crawling insect did the ancient chinese believe was the cause of earthquakes? 

But we weren't there just to play trivia; this fine establishment boasted some amazing looking specialty pizzas on their menu. However, since the previous week and half I had not eaten meat or dairy, I was a little reluctant to give in. But once everyone was taking their turn to order, I quickly choose the Red Skin Potato Pie. Here is the menu's description: 

Olive oil and garlic based pizza loaded with red potato, applewood smoked bacon, caramelized onions. cheddar and mozzarella cheese, sprinkled with chives and drizzled with sour cream and spicy ranch dressing.

Holy yum! After my 'vegan week' ended, I said that I would start eating meat and dairy again if I craved it. Well boy let me tell you, there was no way I was gonna resist this temptation. I dove right into it, but two slices later I was stuffed. 

Since I had only had two slices + a gallon of water, I actually felt pretty good going to bed that night. However, when I woke up the next morning I had a pounding headache and was light headed, weak, and nauseous but starving. I felt horrible and I couldn't understand why. I didn't drink the night before...what had I done differently? 

Then it hit me. Apparently, when you spend 10+ days eating nothing but veggies, fruit, and whole grains your body is super happy. But THEN you dump a big 'ole greasy, cheesy pizza in your stomach and your body will rebel. 

So with the support of the kitchen counter, I slowly assembled my Hangover Smoothie. 
And since I've had quite a few emails and requests for my smoothie recipes, here is a loose description of how I made it:
one handful of spinach
5 frozen strawberries
1/4 cup of frozen blueberries
2 slices of watermelon
1/2 cup of almond milk
1/2 serving of protein powder

By the time I was finished getting ready in the morning, I felt SO much better. This smoothie was packed with the nutrients and hydration that my body was desperate for. Next time, I won't be so drastic in going from one extreme (wonderful healthy eats) to the other (a delicious greasy mess). Obviously, my body knows what it wants!

Answers to the trivia questions:
What is the drink that the British called Arabian wine? Coffee
What is the capital of Montana? Helena
What creepy crawling insect did the ancient chinese believe was the cause of earthquakes? Spiders



Did you get all the questions right? Are you a trivia master?

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty fab at trivia :) Were you in Fayetteville, NC? (I have no idea where you live, haha)

    ReplyDelete