Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sister Sister



This past weekend I was blessed to spend time with my oh-so cool little sister. Even though I'm sure she has never watched an episode of Sister Sister, or any other 90's staple, she is still pretty rad. 

At the Women Razorback Soccer game.

You know how they say kids of this recent generation act spoiled, entitled, and only care about TV and iPads? Well, this little squirt is none of the above. She is selfless, sweet, and woke up at 7 Saturday morning to read. Basically, she is just like her big sister.

Playing an educational game of Quelf.

We spent the weekend cold, wet, and wind burnt. I thought I was miserable in the 45 degree rain, but poor Jaden was out playing soccer in it. Good thing she is young and resilient. 
Perfect soccer weather.

Warming up between games with hot chocolate and books!

As I live 3 hours away, we rarely get to spend quality time together. I wish I could watch all of her soccer games. I wish I could pick her up from school and get ice cream every day. I wish we had our own little secrets and traditions. But more than anything, I just wish I could be around more to pass on all the things I have learned in my 27 years of living. 

So I've compiled an ever-growing list of things I wish I knew during my pre-teen and teens years (you know, because I am so wise and knowledgable now) in hopes that she doesn't make quite as many mistakes as I did. 

Don't worry about the style of your clothes. 
No matter what, you will look back and hate it.

It is okay to have boyfriends (when you're much older, of course) but make your friends more important.
Your friends are probably cooler anyway. 

Don't be afraid to fail. Try everything. 
Sports. Art. Music. Drama. Quiz Bowl. Whatever.
When you're a kid you can fail at everything and no one really cares.
It only matters that you're trying and having fun.
The adult world doesn't work that way.

Don't dumb yourself down. 
You're smart and talented.
Be proud of that.

School can be hard. Kids can be mean. It's life.

While you're trying so hard to be like other people, they are trying to be like you. 

Mom and Dad will annoy you and make you mad. 
Their rules can seem unfair and stupid.
But give them a break- I had the same rules and look how cool I turned out.

Remember that you will have a little niece looking up to you. 
And you're going to be the best aunt ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment