Sunday, May 6, 2012

How My Garden Grows: 6 week update

Remember my container garden I began 6 weeks ago?

Well, look at the baby now! 

Quite successful, don't ya think?! I have been amazed over the past weeks how these plants went from tiny sprigs to full blown plants. I feel like gardening has given me a glimpse of God's intricate beauty and vast creativity. So much fun!

Now, lets take a look at God's handiwork:

I've gotten just a few strawberries over the past 2 weeks, but plenty more are on their way.

My cabbage is overtaking it's container. I will definitely need to start eating this up or transplant it to bigger pot. Since it is getting so hot, I will be moving this to a shadier spot soon.

I'll be moving my lettuce bowl as well. My beautiful lettuce has taken off! There are three different types of lettuce in the bowl -no clue which kinds- and a dill plant. We've been eating from the outside leaves for the past week and it is Oh. So. Good. I may be a little bias, but it is some of the best lettuce I've ever eaten. 

My onions have grown strong and tall! I can only imagine the cute little bulbs growing underneath the soil and I can't wait to pull them up!

Do you see the baby red bell pepper? I was so giddy a few days ago when I came out to find this little guy. I have named him Peter. Peter, I can't wait to eat you.

The orange bell pepper plant is currently on a growing spurt, but has yet to produce a baby pepper like it's cousin. Come on buddy; Peter needs a friend!

My herbs. My wonderful, fragrant herbs. The oregano and parsley have been put to good use in the kitchen. This past weekend I transplanted the cilantro and mixed basil I had been growing from seeds. The basil looks strong but the cilantro have definitely seen better days. Being knocked over countless times and being caught in a thunderstorm probably didn't help the baby sprouts. Hopefully they will make it through.

The tomato plant is so grown up now. When it was first planted, it could barely peek over the container rim and now there are four baby tomatoes growing away. I wonder when they will be ripe for the pickin'?!


My squash and zucchini plants are quite perplexing. They are HUGE but the leaves keep dying. Is this normal? I haven't seen any baby zucchinis yet.
 But I spy a mini-squash!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the current standing of my container garden. I LOVE going out each morning to water the plants and to look for any progress that might have happened over night. And I can't wait to get home from work each day to say hello and sing sweet nothings. Gardening is so satisfying and I haven't even reaped any benefits from it yet! 

Make sure to check back next month to see if I have hands full of produce or dead plants. Only time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment