Monday, August 25, 2014

Cold Brew Iced Coffee Recipe

You guys, it is finally feeling like the Arkansas summer I know and love dread. Humid. Muggy. Hot. I mean, it's hard to complain though. It is late August and, since we have had such a mild and pleasant summer, I suppose we can bear through a few weeks of 120 degree heat with 150% humidity.

But to get you through summer's last hoo-rah, I thought I'd share a new-found secret of mine: cold brew iced coffee! Ree posted it on her website ages ago and I've been dying to try it ever since; if the Pioneer Woman says it is good, you better believe it as truth.

Before we knew the error of our ways, if Josh and I wanted iced coffee we would brew it hot, throw it in the fridge, and wait for as long as possible (aka: 30 minutes) to fill the cup up with ice and call it good. Oh, how we've entered the light.

This cold brew method leaves us with better coffee and more time in the morning to sleep in. (Cause, you know, using a Keurig takes sooo long.) But seriously, the coffee is way better. It can last a month in your fridge, in a tightly sealed container, but it only has lasted us 2 weeks. What can I say. We like our iced coffee.

You may need to tweak your coffee:water ratio and how long you let it sit to find the perfect strength you like, but here is the basis.

Cold Brew Iced Coffee 
(adapted from Pioneer Woman)

12oz ground coffee. I recommend a medium roast
6 quarts of cold water.
a big bowl/bucket/trough
a pitch with a lid

In a large bowl, combine the coffee and cold water. Gently stir to make sure the coffee in submerged in the water. This bowl might be deceiving, but it is huge. 

Cover and sit a room temperature for 8 hours. I let our's go to 10 and it was a tad too strong. 

Once it is ready, using a fine-meshed strainer and cheese cloth, pour the coffee into a pitcher. I had to use two pitches because I didn't have one large enough to hold all the coffee. Think ahead people; don't be like me. 

It may take it a bit to drain, but be patient. And definitely use cheese cloth. The grounds will get through if you just use a strainer. And nothing is worse that drinking coffee with grounds in it. Yuck.

Put a lid on your pitcher and stick it in the fridge. When you wake up in the morning you can pour yourself a wonderful glass of iced goodness. 

And of course, Half N Half makes everything better...

Friends, you must try it. You'll thank me for it. I swear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment