Wednesday, April 30, 2014

My Poppy Plate

85 days ago I met my daughter for the first time. I kissed her chubby cheeks, brushed her fine hair, and touched her perfect lips. We were finally able to hold her precious hands and giggle at the long toes she got from her daddy. 

But unlike most moms and dads, that day was also the day we said goodbye.

That day was the last day to make our memories with Olivia. Each hour and minute was so precious, a day that I will replay in my mind for the rest of my life.

Luckily, there are people and organizations that help make those memories last a lifetime. One of these organizations is Mamie's Poppy Plates. This wonderful non-profit provides families with keep-sake plates, customized with their baby's foot prints. All at no charge to the family.

Their mission states that they "exist not to fill the impossible void of loss but to serve as a timeless reminder of their baby's brief yet profound life."

Last week we received Olivia's plate and when I saw the package at our door I couldn't rip it open fast enough.

While it is nothing compared to actually touching her hands and feet, it is something. Something to hold on to. Something to prove she is real. 

And to parents with empty arms, we'll take anything. 

On Saturday, June 14 at the Race to Remember we will be remembering Olivia and other tiny angels who have gone on before us. Who are patiently waiting for us to come home to heaven. I ask that you join along side me to support this amazing and wonderful organization. 

You can register to run/walk for the Olivia Mary Team HERE or even donate. 

My sweet friend Jessi designed T-shirts for the race as well. Of course you don't have to participate in the race to order a T-shirt, and part of your purchase will go directly to Mamie's Poppy's Plates.  You can order your shirt here. It's only $15!

A $30 donation provides one plate to a family. And that one plate means everything. Give what you can, but most importantly, remember me, Josh, and our sweet Olivia.

2 comments:

  1. Alex, first off I want to tell you how sorry I am that you and your husband had to join this club. I am so grateful you guys were able to spend all of those special moments with Olivia. You have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since I heard and you will continue to be. I am so glad you like your Poppy Plate. I hope it will bring you a little bit of comfort. I can't wait to meet you all at the race. It will be a special day! Much love,
    Sarah Bussey Adams (Mamie's Mom)

    ReplyDelete