Monday, December 23, 2013

Week 31: D-day plans

We are now in the single digits until Baby C arrives. I can't believe in 9 weeks we will be holding our baby girl, maybe sooner and hopefully not later.


How am I feeling this week? Pretty darn good! I have been intentional about my nutrition, increasing my intake of green juice, salads, fruit, and all that other healthy stuff people tell you to eat. With this whole pregnancy and cancer thing, I've felt less in control over my body more than ever. Refocusing on  healthy eating has given me a boost of self confidence and a sense of control in this crazy, awesome time.

Of course with the holidays come lots of goodies, and what pregnant lady can turn down a second helping of pumpkin pie? It is a little embarrassing how much I can eat. I swear my stomach is now a bottomless pit.

In preparation for D-day, last week Josh and I attended a birth class and hospital tour. The class was more for Josh's benefit than mine, but it was still helpful to hear what other women are experiencing and what is typical practice for our hospital. While the birthing video was Josh's favorite part (kidding, obviously), I loved seeing the labor and delivery room. While the hospital setting tends to be a bit more "medically involved" than I would prefer, I think we made the best decision for our family and current situation.

I'm trying to be realistic about D-day, aka pushing baby out. I would love to labor at home for as long as possible and have a medicine-free birth. I'd also love to have an easy nursing experience without milk-supply issues and a happy baby that sleeps through the night. As much as I can prepare, I know from recent experience than things don't always go as planned. Surprisingly, I've never actually experienced child birth before so I'm trying to be realistic and not set myself up for disappointment. So, while I plan for a low intervention birth, I really just want Baby C and myself to make it out alive.


Baby's size: 19 inches, 3.9 pounds

Total weight gain: No clue! My scale broke. (Please note: I did not break the scale, it just happened to break as I stepped on it. Total coincidence.)

Symptoms: My back is so achy. High and low, it just hurts. Luckily baths and Josh's massages help tremendously. And baby loves to push and punch my diaphragm; I am constantly short of breath and gasping for air. Also, I rarely see past 9pm. I wish it was acceptable to eat dinner at 4:30 and be in bed by 7:00.

Things bought for baby: Josh and I, both separately, stopped into Baby Gap during recent shopping excursions. Being cheap and like-minded, we both stuck to the sales rack and with an additional 40% off got some pretty good deals. Who can say no to a cute Gap dress and leggings?

Most excited about: Our maternity photos got rescheduled, again. With last week's snow/ice storm and this week's flash flooding, I'm hoping for good weather next weekend. Granted, I'm liking how I look in photos less and less. I know I should love my growing bump, and I do, but not necessarily how it looks in photos.

Also looking forward to: Christmas! Two straight days of family time and I can't wait. I seriously have the most loving, generous, and funny family in the world. I don't know what we'd do without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment